Monday, January 23, 2017

When Insanity Comes to Call



Do you ever feel like this? I know I do! Around here, my return to reality come Monday is far from tranquil. Oh, I have my tricks to save time. Most notably grocery shopping with this (a boon to mother's everywhere). Even still, with a mile long to-do list, keeping my cool can be a task of epic proportions! Sometimes, in the thick of insanity, Mr. Tinley will pull me aside (in a valiant effort to soothe the volcano) and say "Remember, you chose this." My only response is to growl "Yes, but right now I cannot fathom why!"

Because, ultimately, I not only choose to be a stay-at-home mum... it is what I wanted.  But knowing I'm busy with the most important, greatest job ever can seem to taunt me on days when things go South. Like any other job, there are days so awful and trying that I want to tear my hair. Days when I wonder "What am I doing here? I'm a failure as a mother!"

We've all been there, and it is days like that which have inspired today's poem. Here's how I salvage things.


When Insanity Comes to Call

Been a really crazy day:
In the bathroom, urine spray!
Cleaning, cleaning since the dawn...
Where have all the cookies gone?

Hunting for an hour more
For that toy behind the door.
Wrestle mania just ensued,
And no one wants to eat their food.

But one by one, before it's bed
(And just before I lose my head),
It's story time! So snuggle in-
This makes the day count as a win.

Story time: more than a sanity saver, it's pure magic. Sometimes it feels like the one thing I've done right, and even the boys have caught onto this tradition. Sharing books we love with the people who matter most (yes, even Mr. Tilney and I will read to each other) keeps us going. It creates at least one moment a day we can enjoy together-if only for just five minutes.

More on this come Thursday, as Family Literacy Day is just around the corner! Until then, what are the books you remember being read to you?

Happy reminiscing to you all!

~K

4 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. When it gets hairy, reading books together is a magic trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you. When it gets hairy, reading books together is a magic trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can thank my father for my love of LOTR. He would come home from work and we would lay on the floor, my brother on one side while i on the other, and read The Hobbit and The Lord of The Ring series to us while mom cooked supper. One of my treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete